Buttery, sometimes sour, with crisp bits but a custardy center–this is a non-traditional bread pudding, an indulgent breakfast, or an excuse to use up (or buy) white bread.
- 1 stick of butter
- 5-7 slices of day old* white bread, cubed
- 1 can of crushed pineapple
- 4 eggs
- 1 c sugar
*Bread becomes stale as it ages, but this is not what you want in this or any recipe. The reason is because stale bread still contains too much liquid in it, so it won’t absorb the liquid of the recipe well. When you read “day old bread” in a recipe, you can create your own (and stale bread can be where you start!) by cutting bread into 1/2 inch cubes, then cooking 10-12 mins in a 275 degree oven.
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, beating well.
- Add pineapple, undrained.
- Fold in bread gently until moistened.
- Spread into a casserole dish or 9×13 pan and cook until edges begin to brown, about an hour.