What is this? Jello? A no-bake cheesecake?
I don’t know, which is probably why it’s called “strawberry pretzel dessert” rather than something more specific.
Is it a Southern delicacy? A Lutheran potluck staple? A summer camp favorite? The myths abound.
- 3 c. crushed pretzels
- 1 /4 c. sugar
- 3/4 c. butter, melted
- 1 8 oz. bar cream cheese, softened
- 1 c. sugar
- 8 oz. Cool Whip, thawed
- 2 16 oz. containers of frozen, sweetened strawberries
- 2 3 oz. packets of strawberry Jello
- 2 c. boiling water
- Mix 3 c. crushed pretzels (spring for the Snyder’s of Hanover Butter Snaps), 1/4 c. sugar, and 3/4 c. butter, melted. Spread into a greased 9×13 pan. Bake at 350 8-10 mins. Cool.
Cream Cheese Layer:
- Mix 1 bar of softened cream cheese and 1 cup sugar well. Fold in 8 oz. Cool Whip. Chill.
- Add 2 c. boiling water to Jello; stir for 3 minutes. Add frozen strawberries and stir until thawed. Spread over cream cheese layer. Chill for 6 hours.