Channeling your Depression Era ancestors during a time of economic collapse? Pandemic boredom/anxiety have you cooking with more staples? Just love oatmeal?
Baked oatmeal is one of my favorites. Prep takes about 10 minutes, so I like to put it in the oven, then get a shower or go for a walk, then return for a delicious warm breakfast.
This version makes a baked oatmeal with a custardy base, which I love. If it’s not your thing, don’t give up on baked oatmeal, though, as other versions are a more consistent in their texture. You can also add apples or dried fruit.
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c. oil
- 1 c. sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 c. oatmeal
- 1 1/4 c. milk
- Grease a 9×13 pan. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat oil, eggs, and sugar until well blended.
- Combine remaining dry ingredients separately, then add to wet and mix further.
- Stir in milk and mix until smooth.
- Pour into 9×13 pan and bake for 30 minutes.