Regular readers of this blog know that we love popcorn in just about every form–including spicy caramel corn! Tonight, we imagined Korean fried chicken as popcorn by making use of gochujang paste, a slightly sweet and spicy paste made from chili peppers, fermented soybeans, barley, and glutinous rice. You can find it in the Asian aisle of the supermarket.
- 12 c. popped popcorn
- 1 bag of Kraft caramels, unwrapped
- 3 Tbs butter
- 1/4 c. gochujang powder
- 1/8 c. soy sauce
- Heat oven to 300 degrees. Grease roasting pan or 9x 13 pan.
- Melt caramels and butter over low heat; add gochujang paste and soy sauce, stirring until smooth.
- Pour caramel sauce over popcorn. Stir until coated.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then stir, and bake 10 minutes further.
- Turn out onto greased wax paper, breaking up any big clumps. Allow to cool completely before eating.